Many organizations have employees who work from home on company-supplied systems or devices which ensures that they have consistent state-of-the-art equipment and devices so they can work more efficiently. Many organizations neglect to implement guidelines or a proper-use policy regarding company owned hardware.
In order to implement such a policy it is important to seperate the responsibilities of the company (their internal IT department or outside support vendor) and those of the individual employee.Company Responsibilities:
- Provide standardized equipment for home usage to control costs, simplify support and improve remote worker efficiency.
- Install software updates and patches on remote devices on a regular basis to improve functionality and security.
- Install and maintain corporate-grade antivirus software (we recommend Trend Micro).
- Install and maintain malware protection (our recommendation is Malwarebytes).
- Configure with mobile device management in order to reset passwords, block unnecessary applications and locate/wipe lost or stolen devices.
- Maintain correct inventory of all remote devices using asset tags.
- Provide remote users a strict guideline of acceptable practices on company computers and devices.
- Set up instant messaging system.
- Provide clear expectations to avoid miscommunication and abuse of policy.
- Immediatly report any issues or problems to company.
- Maintain equipment and keep it in good working order.
- Depending on circumstance (neglect or carelessness), employee may be responsible for cost of repair or replacement of devices.
- Comply with existing company policies regarding email usage, internet access, and downloading of software or copyright-protected material.
- Utilize equipment primarily for business. Reasonable personal/recreational use can be permitted if it does not interfere with work duties.
- Secure equipment when not in use.
While working remotely is not the right option for every employee or every business, it is worth considering with the right people at the right time. When implemented properly, a remote work policy can lead to happier, more productive employees, lower costs and a healthier corporate climate. The experts at Four Winds Network Services can evaluate your needs to help you determine if a remote work force could help you grow your business.